02-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #124
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Anyone who says the Genesis looks "exactly" like something else are blind. The Genesis coupe front looking "no different than" a Tiburon? What a laugh.

Well, kinda wedgy coupes with 4 wheels and some headlights. I'll give you that, but "no difference?" I'm sure that all asian people look "exactly" alike to you, too.

Genesis Sedan grille and Mercedes "exact?"

Similar, yes, but a different shape, with different shaped grille bars. Exact copy? Not even close. And the headlights arch completely differently.

Cars of all eras tend to look fairly similar to cars of the same role and era. I could show you a picture of a '50s car, and most of you would KNOW that it's a 50s car, but not be able to name the brand or model. Because they all have similar styling cues. I could post pictures of a '31 Ford and a '31 Chevy, and a, say, '31 Peugeot, and you'd KNOW they were from the '30s, but not be able to tell me which was which. But that doesn't really mean they are copying each other, just that automotive evolution moves along very similarly no matter where you are, given a similar role for the vehicle.

No, Hyundai doesn't have a defining detail that says "This is a Hyundai." You have to already know it IS a Hyundai, but if you're at all paying attention, you know it at a glance. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. The cars are modern and attractive enough to do their job well and the details DO say that they aren't the cars they are competing with. When I first looked at the pictures in the OP's post, I could tell which was the G37 and which was the Genesis simply becasue I recognize the details. To me, there's as much visual difference as there is between a 4 door 3 series and a 4 door Civic.

Last edited by ChrisV; 02-06-2009 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: image tags
Appreciate 0