12-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
hipvspec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: you crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
SP1 has been out for awhile now. vista does suck but this has Nothing to do with windows hate to say.

why dont you use the start button > all programs and then look for windows updates? easy enough.

in sure if you dont have sp1 who dont have my other updates

~ reply from a OSX
of course i tried windows update(very easy, like you said), but since it doesn't comes up with anything, i began to google, and i soon found this: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sec...ack_1_n_1.html

quoting from the washingtonpost link above: "Some Vista users won't receive notifications that SP1 is ready to install even if they've turned on Automatic Updates from Microsoft - and this was indeed the case with my Vista (Ultimate) PC. According to Microsoft, there may be several reasons for this. Among the most likely is that Windows Update will temporarily not offer Windows Vista SP1 to systems that have certain hardware device drivers that have shown to cause problems with SP1. Microsoft lists a bunch of these, which includes some pretty widely-deployed hardware drivers, including audio drivers Conexant HD Audio, Creative Audigy, and RealTek AC'97 (you can check for the presence of these driver files by searching for them by name, as listed in this advisory)."

...after reading that helpful washingtonpost link, i found the driver of my Audigy SE soundcard is preventing me from getting that particular update(as SP1) from Windows automatic updates. I always let Windows Updates installl new updates on my computer i just got annoyed at the fact that i need to do so much fiddling to play a video game (i am no gamer, as i admit) on a 2 months old computer, lol. i know every question or comment could be answered with "it depends..." so i guess my thread was more or less a rant and provide some slightest help for those who are in the same shoes as me