10-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #29
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
hell I've even signed the audit agreement since I was working on the client.
First, are you talking about the engagement letter or the audit opinion.

Either way. I work for a second tier public firm and have been helping recruitment this summer. Here's some facts.

The big 4 are cutting back on the number of new hires this year, big time. The big 4 are unloading a lot of experienced hires as they don't have work for them. The only three schools that would really look go on your resume for accounting are NIU, Illinois and Texas. They fight for the top 3 spots for number of students that pass the CPA, % passing rate and highest scores. (please do not compare this to business school rankings, most ivy league business schools do not have accounting degrees).

As for advice, I would start interviewing for second tier accounting firms. With the big 4, you are just a number and will be dumped quickly if we continue to go into a recession. The second tier firms pay well and can absorb extra over head in slow times then the big 4.

If you are still having trouble, sit for the CPA ASAP. Get a 90+ average for all the sections. With that on your resume, ur basically set.
Appreciate 0