View Single Post
      08-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #21
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

It may turn out to be nothing but I still dislike the idea of a bunch of egotistical scientists gambling the future of the world on some hypothesis that has never actually been proven. Seems a little risky to me - even if the odds are one in 50 million that a black hole is created.

And to boost nation's comment, it's all relative. The amount of energy that will be released by this collider is enough to create a small black hole. The thing is is that the scientists predict that it will quickly vanish. Excuse me, but have they ever even seen a black hole vanish? There is no supporting evidence that black holes don't exist on the nanometer level, so their conjectures are pure specultion.

Here's how it would possibly go down if a black hole were created in the accelerator:

The black hole would not have enough gravitational force to pull much matter into it at first and since it has a mass of near 0 it would be pulled through solid objects such as brick, stone, iron (you get the idea) until it reached it's gravitational homeostasis point (center of the earth). In the center of the earth gravity and pressure would literally force matter into this black hole making it's gravitational field stronger and stronger every day until it had enough matter to sustain it's own strong field. Then it would grow in size until it literally swallowed the earth up from the inside. All along we'd experience things on the surface like massive earthquakes as the tectonic plates began shifting wildly. The process could take months or years even but we would not know it until it was just upon us.

All that has a 1 in 50 million chance of happening. Pretty comforting to think that a bunch of eggheads are ready to risk the human race on odds that are only slightly better than being hit by lightning.

Not to mention they've already had some explosions and problems with the accelerator itself because it was under engineered. If they can make mistakes with that, they can make mistakes with their calculations as well.

I would vote that they would study their particle physics awhile longer before embarking on what could be a catastrophic man made disaster of epic proportions.
Appreciate 0