05-04-2024, 05:22 PM   #26
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket455 View Post
Yes, but not because of being my own boss. 12 years of running a service-based business here in CA with 2 other partners that falls into the 'unskilled labor' tier. At our peak, 230 employees, currently 165. Between CA's ridiculous labor laws and general anti-employer overreach, the near constant steam of frivolous lawsuits and fake Work Comp cases, the *unbelievable* sense of employee entitlement and lack of personal accountability and integrity, I cannot wait to go work for someone else after this is over, if retirement is out of reach. Exhausting dealing with the BS and liability. I don't know what happened to the labor pool, but it's everywhere now and has been getting worse for years. COVID didn't help. The "racism" card has become a common first reaction when attempting to counsel employees (despite all 3 owners being immigrants themselves!), not too far behind the "I'll sue you" card, kids with no work experience believe they should be making $20/hr despite not having a clue how to talk or behave, the compliance landscape manufactured by CA is stifling and automatically nurtures bad behavior... I could go on and on without tiring myself. Thank GOD weed is legal here. =P
Stuff like this is why I'm glad I don't have employees. Even if it means I have to do more work myself. Fortunately it's not some crazy amount of work so I can manage to do it all myself, but I feel if I ever got that busy that I couldn't do it myself I would probably consider rising prices or just stop taking on new clients before having to hire people.

Also makes me glad I don't live in CA.
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619089.00
dradernh4814.50
Rocket455516.50