View Single Post
      03-23-2024, 01:19 PM   #141
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

I think what bothers me the most lately is that some posters, particularly LogicalApex keep using this term "government making a profit". It irks me, because I cannot see an instance where a government makes a profit from any activity they do.

Profit would typically be defined as the excess of earnings over expenses, AND earnings is typically defined as compensation for the use of either labour / time or capital you own.

The government has neither in and of itself. It is a parasite in the truest sense of the word, since it relies on its host (being the people) to sustain itself. It does not produce. It does not earn. It cannot make a profit.

In spite of my feelings above, I still see a need for a government, as I think it is reasonably well suited to deliver certain services on a standardized basis, albeit it not as efficiently as I would like. Ideally I would like to see the government get smaller, but that is a pipe dream - what organization would voluntarily reduce itself / its power?

But governments do not profit and they do not produce. At best they redistribute and provide a modicum of standardized services.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM411000.00