LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
Student debts should not be cancelled. It's a valuable lesson in life that they will have to remember. Maybe the hard way.

I graduated from University with zero debts and money in the bank. Why? Because I studied instead of partying and earning grants and bursaries. And I also worked tending bar after classes, week-ends and Summer holidays while some of my classmates were drinking their loans and begging for money come March or April.

I don't know where they are today, if they even graduated. I have no sympathy for their poor choices in life.

Just my two cents on the matter.
You're also in Canada where there are caps on student loan debt. At least there were when I studied in Canada for a year.

But when a state subsidized school costs ~$20K/year in tuition (not counting books, etc.) it is a lot harder to pay for that "tending bar".

https://bursar.temple.edu/sites/burs...tion_Rates.pdf

I know as I worked hard, including summer jobs and jobs WHILE attending school. I still graduated with a decent student debt load. I never partied. Nor do I drink at all.

I was the first of my family to graduate college though and my parents were too poor to contribute anything at all to my education. I earn very well now so I'm paying my loans back, but I'm also not dismissive of the real challenges others face and the strain the whole thing places on our society.

Last edited by LogicalApex; 03-23-2024 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Removed unnecessary personal details.
Appreciate 0