No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
Disagree on both points.

The grill design enabled M racing to improve both professionally as with the GT3 - keep in mind the homologation process (and it has been quite successful) - and in amateur track days. It is cool - pun intended - to see the effectiveness on water temp with the big grille. And oil temp management.

Secondly, sales determines every success, not how you feel about the design, at least in a mass produced car with no real production constraint like a 1M or M2CS or M5CS.

If it “didn’t work,” then they would have changed it. They didn’t in the LCI. Could it look better? Yes - so a lot of owners modify. The GT3 looks incredible.
There are many grille designs that could have enabled that level of cooling. It didn’t have to be a 7 sided, full verticle, heptagon. That argument has been completely debunked in other forum threads.

As for sales numbers, look at the past M’s. There is no way to tell a legacy based on those numbers. The E30 probably has the most iconic status among the M3’s and it has the lowest production numbers. The F80 has the highest sales and I know of no one, including myself, who would argue it’s the most iconic M3. And I own and love the F80. Sales say nothing about legacy, styling rank, or much else other than effective marketing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Xtabi1718.50