vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I don't know about where you live, but we must pass emissions teats and a CEL is an automatic failure. They can also tell if the light was recently reset and a certain number of drive-cycles need to be completed before the test can be run. Can't register the car without passing smog.

We also face an almost $200 fine for running without a front plate.
I live in upstate NY. My DW is a licensed NY State inspector, and I know all about MIL (legal name for CEL) and OBD-II readiness states.

There are all kinds of hoopties driving around here with their MIL blazing, which prevents them from passing inspection and stops them from renewing their registrations. One of my DW's former co-workers had her drivers license suspended for 6+ months for driving around with an expired registration...one day of suspension for each day the registration lapsed because of the MIL.

If you think that your state is strict, I spent an hour two weekends ago scraping the driver/passenger door window tint off of the almost-Mighty Freightliner. It came to us from its previous owner with some extremely light tint on the two doors, and it was so light and well-done that neither of us noticed it. Inspectors are now required to test all windows with a tint meter, and upload the readings to the DMV mothership before the machine will print a new windshield sticker.

If that's not enough, they are also now required to report on the condition of both front and rear license plates. Not a reason for failure...yet...but they claim to be gathering statistics on paint peeling because they apparently got a bad batch from one vendor. License plate covers (including 100% clear) are an insta-fail, because too many people are using polarized covers to avoid the insane toll-by-mail bills in urban areas.....