12-23-2023, 11:42 AM   #23
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
But he didn't lift. He is on the gas, huge understeer then SNAP. It's really weird and maybe yeah a kerb as others said. 200hp and heavy understeer is a weird place to suddenly snap oversteer.
It's possible, and just a theory, won't know unless we ask the driver but he could've had a (or more than 1) "Waterford Wheel". Out of the 3 tracks I've been to in MI this by far has been the most fun, was able to get there for the first time this year for an event put on by a couple guys from here.

Waterford Hills track is part of the Oakland County Sportsmans Club complex so there's more there than just the track including a shooting range.

There's a few run offs that even before drivers meet (also talked about during the meet) I was warned about where there's very soft grass patches and if you go on them clumps of grass will pack in between the wheel and tire ultimately breaking the bead seal and packing grass inside the wheel. With the corners there it'll work its way in worst case it'll give the effect of a blow out so it's possible with the over working of the tires "if" everything was set up properly he could've been down on tire pressure and not know it especially if new.
There were stories I've heard of fist fulls of grass coming out of wheels from people talking to the local tire shop a mile or so away. They're so used to it that if you tell the tire shop you've got a Waterford Wheel they get you in and out quick so you don't miss much track time. If that was the case and he had a tire or more go off even under visual inspection if it's worked its way in possibly hard to tell so when in doubt get it checked out if that was the case.

Also prior to going there I watched a youtube video put together by a guy in his nsx of How to at Waterford Hills and he does comment there if you don't have compliant suspension for it stay off the curbs so who knows what mix was there to really unsettle it on him. It's definitely a miatas playground for sure such a fun and challenging track and happy I wasn't the only Z4 out there.
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6575.50