Mike K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_F10 View Post
Bit of an update for my situation (2010 BMW 528i, Australia region).

I booked in the recall for Wednesday 13th Dec (last week) and dropped it off that morning. They said they require the car for 2 days. I asked to speak with a technician before I left to see if I could explain that the bolts had already broken in 2021.

I explained to the young technician that 4 bolts had broken and I had replaced them with the updated part in both VANOS units, however had not retrieved the bolt heads. They said there was nothing they could do in regards to this as they weren't able to witness them broken.

I was waiting for my lift when the same guy came to see me to explain he had talked to his Master Technician and that they were double checking with BMW Technical to see if there was any other work required now that they know the previously broke. They said they would get back to me.

I got a call the next day (Thursday) to say that BMW Technical had advised the VANOS adjuster units would have to be replaced as well. I'm not sure if they were going to do this if I hadn't had mentioned anything, or whether it was still part of the recall procedure.

No mention of the bolt head retrieval though (and I forgot to ask when they called me), so I emailed them however received no response. I then called to see if I could confirm whether BMW Technical had advised anything regarding the bolt head retrieval. They said they would get back to me but they didn't.

It's now Monday and I received a text to say that the car is ready to be picked up so I went in to pick it up. They gave me the paperwork which had all part numbers relating to the VANOS adjuster replacements and associated gaskets but no mention of the bolt head retrieval, so looks like they've been dancing around this. I wasn't demanding it to be done, I just wanted to get their thoughts on it.

Anyway, I get into my car ready to leave and notice the check engine light is on and it is idling rough. It's a joke that they didn't notice this before handing it over to me.

So I went back inside to explain this isn't how I dropped it off and they said I'll have to leave it with them for a couple more days to check what's wrong as they don't have time now to look at it. They said there will be a diagnostic fee if it's not related to the recall, but it definitely has to be. My guess is a coil pack not plugged in properly or a vacuum leak.

When I pick it up again I'll see if I can get any further information regarding the bolt head retrieval, but now that the work is done they will want nothing else to do with the car.

Anyone else booked in to have theirs done yet?
Crazy! This sad tale makes me extremely nervous because after I replaced my faulty bolts a few years back, my e91 has been running great. Last thing we need is a mishandled recall screwing up our cars! But then an open recall is bad news too.

I’m awaiting a stateside success story from someone who previously replaced the bad bolts as many of us have already done. And at great expense and headaches! WTF?
Appreciate 3