View Single Post
      08-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #22
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
That's what MINI's are - fun. If that isn't a priority, there are a lot of other cars someone should buy especially for the money. I don't pretend my R56 is something it isn't. Everything about it is pretty mediocre - lack of any sort of refinement, suspension that could almost be considered non-existent, hard plastics everywhere. But the drive paired with a manual transmission is enough for me to overlook all of its flaws for a weekend car.
That sums it up pretty well. I had issues with my R56 not always wanting to stop in any form of snow despite running new Blizzaks, even from a low speed crawl at residential stop signs. That's ultimately why I got rid of it. I don't think that was the norm, though.

Aside from chirp-happy fronts coming from a stop on damp pavement, it was fun as hell as a companion to my Moupe. I daily drove it while the Moupe was in winter storage for 3 years and would alternate w/ it when it wasn't.

Not a refined interior, heated seats that could fry your innards on High, and a little wiggle on the shifter but it was definitely fun as a 6-sp manual. Peppy and handled well.

I didn't get far into DIY maintenance with it but oil changes were interesting (12+" of socket extension, pulling up the expansion tank, etc...).