View Single Post
      08-15-2023, 01:13 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
The new Minis are very reliable. In fact CR top most reliable car models, the mini cooper 2 door ranked 3rd behind the Corolla hybrid and the Lexus GX. I think ever since Mini started using more BMW components (including the engine - the b48), they've increased significantly in reliability.
The 2001+ Mini's have always been BMWs underneath except the motors which started in 2013. Prior to BMW engines, they did have a lot of BMW supporting parts supporting the motor. I spend way more time watching car repair YT videos than I should and I've learned that Minis, VWs, Audis, and BMW I4s and V8s are not cars I'd ever own and this is coming from a guy that owns and maintains a 7.5 y/o M235 and a 13 y/o Cayman

Based on what I've read, watched, and have heard from friends, neither make is overly reliable. However, the VW GTI is a much easier car to live with and from what I've watched, fractionally easier to work on. If you're looking at an automatic, the VW is the obvious choice with its DCT.

Last edited by XutvJet; 08-15-2023 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
10"4988.50