View Single Post
      06-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #7
irowharderthanyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i TiAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Wow that is terrible! If you have a trunk mat, take it to a laundrymat and use the biggest washer to wash it. As far as your trunk I saw this online.

Absorb with Kitty Litter

About a year ago, we had the same problem. My husband thought his dad put the cap on the gas can and was driving around when it spilled. After many useless remedies, we finally resorted to putting clay kitty litter over the area of the gas spill. After a day, we vacuumed it and covered it with the litter again. I think we did this two or three times with great results. There was no more gas odor. Be careful not to allow any moisture near the cat litter or it could turn into "mud" on your carpet, and be sure to clean with a vacuum with very strong suction to get all the litter out.

Insider Advice

The very same thing happened to us once. We called a car detail man for advice and he said to spray it down with Febreeze and leave the windows open. We did this once and the odor was gone!

The Two-Stepped Approach

We had the same problem. Gas spilled onto the carpet in our van. It smelled terrible. I checked online, and there were a couple of suggestions that we used. First of all, wash it with a solution of clear vinegar and water mixed about 1/2 to 1/2. When it dries, put baking soda on it. Leave it there overnight and then vacuum it off. It worked for us.

Get some kitty litter with baking soda in it (arm and hammer brand??) Try putting this stuff in and dont be afraid to WAIT a while for the odor to absorb.