Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post
Rich

If you offered this kit with direct plug and play connectors like they do with the fancy VTT kit I would buy it in a heartbeat, even at a higher price point! I like that each injector has its own bracket where as the VTT kit has a large bracket that houses all 6 coils.

I may just buy both kits to mix and match the elements of both of them that I like and sell off the leftover kit... If you are willing to sell just the 6 coil brackets, let me know!
While I understand the idea of wanting to just plug into the stock connector with an adapter overall extra connectors are generally worse than crimp or solder connections electrically. I also feel that they are bulky and get in the way of things. And yes there would be a cost to making them would increase the cost of every kit sold...

I did offer "de-pin" setups that change the BMW connectors to a standard automotive grade connector by removing the terminals from the OEM proprietary connector shell and sliding them into a standard one that uses the same terminals. I sold some of those adapters but demand has been for the splice connectors instead. I even had one customer buy custom de-pin connectors and decide to splice instead to keep things slim and clean.

I haven't heard of anyone wanting to go back to the original coils after installing these. There is no reason to ever go back to the stock coils. That means that splicing the connectors in is the best solution.

By far the cheaper option if you don't want to cut the harness is to buy the connectors from precision raceworks and splice my connector into that, their replacement coil harness is only $50 IIRC.

As a counter point a used n54 or n55 OEM wiring harness is usually less than $50 so on ebay or a junkyard. If someone did want to remove them to sell the car as stock or something the best way would be to just swap the entire modified harness with a used one and sell the kit or put it on a different car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeChild View Post

EDIT
Also, if there is a way to modify the bracket design to move the coil mount "pin" to the bottom of the bracket instead of the top so that the coils point rearward instead of forward (like on the VTT/Nexsys kits) that would be amazing.
I don't think I will be changing the connector position. I designed them to be forward facing so that the connector is easy to depress and pull out of the coil.

If they were on the back side it would be more difficult especially for the back coils. The factory engine cover fits unmodified with the current position so I would argue that it is the best of both worlds. The mounting bolt would also interfere with the stock wiring sleeve if it were done that way so it would have to be removed which is undesirable IMO....

Plus if I did that the BMW logo would be backwards on the OE coils! That just wouldn't be right would it?

Customer install Photo:
Name:  Fat bunny customer install.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  185.9 KB

-Rich