View Single Post
      09-05-2022, 11:39 AM   #98
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Must have been something wrong with your PA4 (old mfg date?) or setup. I have both of those tires on my M2C in stock sizes on a different set of OEM wheels and I feel the PA4 is excellent and better than PSS in wet (rain) and close enough to it in the dry when it is cold. No problem at all in the mid 40s, behaves great. I swapped them on in the mid 40s and drove on them up to the 50s. The TireRack data seems to agree with my experience. I have used 7 different tires from the Performance Winter category. They have compounds very similar to all season, just a tweaked tread design and more sipes in the blocks. I've actually driven on Bridgestone LM001 as late as early June and it was surprisingly fine. I won't dispute that the AS4 is probably better outside of snow, but my experience with PA4 is not at all like yours.

This exact comparison has been done:

Nothing wrong with the setup as it was a 225/45r18 square setup. The tires were 2 months old when I bought them new from Tirerack. I rotated them every 3k miles and had an OEM alignment. The tires are just dogcrap in anything other ultra cold and snowy conditions, just like any other winter performance tire.

The PA4s were disappointing for my needs and where I live. I learned that I need to outfit my car for the most common conditions it drives in and not the worst case. The PA4s were just too much of a compromise and made the car less stable and brake worse in the cold (20+ degrees) and wet compared to the AS4s. I've run the AS4s for two winter seasons now and 6k miles so I'm well-tuned to their positives and negatives. The only real negative I've found is worse light snow traction and even then, they aren't terrible at all.
Appreciate 0