View Single Post
      05-10-2022, 05:49 PM   #163
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Tough one, after 10 years most ICE cars have had significant maintenance costs and replaced parts, an EV would have used tires and wiper blades plus saved $10K+ thousands in gas $$$$.. Plus whats the difference if you now have 250 miles instead of 300? Most use cases the car would still be very servicable
I don't know about "significant" maintenance costs. For example, my now retired parents drive their cars over 10+ years when purchased new. Their 2012 Honda Accord has needed nothing other than $30 oil changes every 10k miles, a $80 spark plug change every 100k miles. Beyond that, it has not needed any maintenance, nothing leaks, everything works as it does when new. They still drive it cross country on road trips.

Prior to that they purchased a 2003 Camry V6... which they still own and runs like new today with over 200k miles.

The money they spent on gas? It's pennies vs what a new car would cost! Say they pump $200 in fuel a month, that's $2400 a year. You'd need to pump 20 years of gasoline before you'd save enough to buy a new Model 3 at $40-50k.

An EV would need to compete with this level of product maturity and durability. Heck, Tesla doesn't even support their own original Roadster owners and want them to buy new cars and those cars are still very new!