View Single Post
      03-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
chillywings
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

Excess rattling over bumps from rear

Hi folks,

I'm struggling to diagnose this issue and hoping someone may have come across it before. First of all, here's a clip recorded while going over a bump section of road:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YyV...ew?usp=sharing

As a note, it hardly takes anything in the way of bumps for it to start making noise. It clearly comes from the rear of the car. I've recently replaced the rear upper control arms (but not the rear-ward most one with the eccentric alignment nut on it) and the rear shocks. I've noticed that the noise goes away on really cold mornings (eg single digits) until the car warms up. It also makes a squeaking noise that's not present in the clip that seems to have come about with the warmer temps.

Since replacing the control arms the rear wheels have no 12-6 or 3-9 play. HOWEVER, if I lift straight up on the wheel, it has a lot of play and seems to replicate the noise I'm hearing on the road. My suspicion is the lower control arm 'ball joint' aka bushing, but according to sources online suggest that if this were bad then there would be play in the wheel. I can't seem to find any info about up/down play. Also, if I grab the wheel and rock back and forth until the car starts to move (forwards and backwards) it also makes a clunking noise. This makes me suspect the trailing arm bushings.

Can anyone confirm or suggest sources for up/down play in the wheel? Thanks!

Last edited by chillywings; 03-27-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0