Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
The 4-Series has only been out for 8 years, not sure if it qualifies as an "iconic nameplate". If anything more people (and definitely all the purists) complained about the "loss" of the 3-Series/M3 coupe and convertible when it became the 4 (with "loss" in quotes since it wasn't even gone, just renamed).

I am curious if they're going to miss a part of the market by lumping the 4 and 8 into a 6. The 2-Series coupe overlaps the 4 enough that they could probably do away with the 4, but there's no 2-Series convertible to replace the 4, and it's a big step up to a 6/8. I also don't know if M4 coupe buyers will accept an M2 as a replacement (and they definitely wouldn't look to an M6 unless it was more like a 911 than an SL63).
Killing the 3 series coupe aka 4 series is really stupid. Big difference between renamed and dead. Especially if it's being done to make room for something that no one will buy (the 6).
Isn't the 2 series more of the 3 series coupe now? More dynamic and agile than the 4. The 4 was getting into the GT category. Which I can understand if it transforms into a 6.