View Single Post
      08-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #1
Djvxxs
Rep
Drives: Car

Smile New potential BMW owner, but need DIYer opinions

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if it’s not, my apologies....

2021 540i. Should I buy one or not?

Before you answer, consider this. I’m a car guy; I buy cars, work on em, drive em for a lil while and then sell them. I’m a [[read: shade tree]] mechanic capable of doing .. virtually anything on American cars, provided I have the tools available. I know nothing about foreign cars — so little, that I was dumbfounded when I went parts searching on RockAuto for stuff and saw the oil filter that looked like and old school carburetor fuel filter I instantly began to think I might be getting myself into something I won’t be able to handle.

I absolutely love the new 5 series, beautiful car. I’m contemplating buying one (looks like I might have to order one, since my local dealer has like maybe one 5 series on the lot .. anyways I digress.) ... BUT...

My MAIN ISSUE here is the thought of not being able to work on my own car. That is literally the only hang up. & before the inevitable “BMW doesn’t want you to work on the cars” “just take it to the dealer you paid for the service anyway” “if you can’t afford the dealer you can’t afford a BMW” junk replies, it’s not about the MONEY. It’s about the PRINCIPLE. My house is paid for. I have a little money to play around with, and so I mean, you only live once right !?

It’s just that I just can’t fathom the idea of having a vehicle that I’m unable to do any type of routine maintenance to.

I’m reaching out the BMW community to hear how other DIYers handle maintaining their own newer model cars.

fwiw, I’m putting this post on multiple BMW forums to get a broader range of replies. TIA.
Appreciate 1