RNByrd3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2006 330i 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I can't understand WHY you believe the "Dent" in the LF Frame "tube" was caused by the "alley" collision. I MUST be missing something here (I have NOT read this thread until NOW after posting to it on 11/14). If I AM missing something, please correct me.

SUMMARY:

I don't mean to appear insensitive to your situation, but it is my intention to simply analyze the evidence you have provided, and give you MY OPINION.

1) The recent "alley" collision causing damage to the RF of your bumper cover did NOT cause the dent in the "Left Front Bumper Mount Tube." Any damage, regardless of how critical or how trivial, to that "tube" pre-existed the "alley" collision. The "Dent" in the upper-outboard section of the "tube" appears more consistent with application of a PRY tool, rather than "impact" from a collision, OR the surface has been repainted to cover any scuff marks resulting from impact.

2) Your LAST photo in the group of 10 DOES show the top-outboard bolt that fastens the RIGHT bumper tube to the Right Bumper Beam is sheared off (both top bolts on LEFT are intact), and the Inboard top nut washer has left a scuff from lateral movement, perhaps from this "Alley" collision, as the scuffs appear "relatively recent" (NO rust), but how much rust might develop between February & November is anyone's guess.

3) I can't tell from your photos, and I have NOT compared other models for similarity, but it appears that the Right bumper beam mount is at more of an angle than the Left Beam mount, but that may be an illusion from angle of photo, OR the way it was designed.

4) If the "dent" was NOT caused by this collision, then the insurer has NO liability for repair of a "pre-existing" condition or damage. It likewise has NO authority to tell you that your car is unsafe or that you MUST repair that pre-existing damage in any specific manner.

5) I fail to see any reason WHY you should NOT simply repair the bumper cover, kidney grill & RF fender liner damage, get a Front Alignment, replace the sheared bolt, and enjoy the car. You DID say that there was NO change in handling characteristics when you drove it AFTER the Collision, so I see NO indication of anything a routine front alignment would NOT correct (have rear checked at same time).

Please let us know what you find,
George
Until the frame is measured on a frame machine and compared to BMW specs, there can be no correct assessment of the repair cost. It is obvious the front bumper section is toast and deformed during the collision as it was designed to do (absorb the crash energy rather than transfer it to the passengers). If the crash energy of the "alley" accident caused deformation of the outer wall of the frame tube, it looks as the torque ended up right on the weakest section of the tube where the manufacturing points are stamped out of the steel. But I would expect BMW designed it that way and provides replacement sections of the frame rail forward of the engine mounts to repair, what otherwise is a good car.

It is obvious the bumper section has moved several inches left and may be stressing the unibody frame. The bumper framing needs to be removed and then measurements of the unibody taken to assess what the correct repair procedure is. Again, with the proper frame straightening equipment I can't see why the damage to the left frame rail can't be corrected to the original factory specifications. The panel gaps between the hood and fenders tells you the frame is not out of spec everywhere.

The unusual tire wear is a concern and it is either a bad alignment job, or the frame was damaged in the previous accident and the front end is effed, and it was only discovered when the "alley" accident uncovered it.

Here to hope that the OP gets justifiably compensated.
Thank you guys for all of the thorough examinations and explanations of my situation. I truly appreciate everyone's help in this regard.

I spoke with the BMW certified collision shop, Faulkner Collision Center, this morning and they told me that they would not measure the frame until the repairs have been authorized. They said they'd initially do a "visual inspection" to come up with their estimate and that they have to go off of the original estimate (I'm not exactly sure what that means). I'm waiting for my insurance company to send in an assignment to Faulkner before they can make an appointment for an estimate.
Appreciate 0