View Single Post
      11-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #94
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNByrd3 View Post
Okay, so I was finally able to get the car today and was able to snap a few photos prior to it getting too dark. Without further ado...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNByrd3 View Post
I was wrong about which side the defect was on. I thought it was on the side toward the engine, but it is not. After looking at the damage without the bumper cover, I can see that this accident likely caused the damage.
I can't understand WHY you believe the "Dent" in the LF Frame "tube" was caused by the "alley" collision. I MUST be missing something here (I have NOT read this thread until NOW after posting to it on 11/14). If I AM missing something, please correct me.

Here are the facts as I understand them:
1) In Post #22 you stated: "I turned left out of a small alley and into the path or a car heading in the same direction in which I was turning...My car clipped the rear wheel of his car. The only damage to his car was a large hole in the sidewall of his tire. [HIS Left-Rear tire I presume] I drove the car several times after the accident and it had no change to the drive characteristics whatsoever."
2) So that means that with YOUR car at very low speed, the Right-Front corner of your bumper cover contacted the sidewall of his Left-Rear Tire, BEHIND the hub, as that sidwall was moving UPWARD, thereby LIFTING your bumper cover (and Left Fender Liner) and leaving a large black mark on your white bumper cover as shown in photo in your Post #4.
3) That photo in Post #4 ALSO shows what appears to me to be an "arc-shaped cut" in your plastic bumper cover, inboard of the black mark left by the tire, which is consistent with the edge of his wheel rim contacting your bumper, and you applying brakes JUST BEFORE impact so that you did NOT continue forward into the rear sheet metal or Left-Rear of his bumper cover, with little or no damage to his vehicle other than his tire or wheel rim (slightly scuffed?).
4) There was NO damage to any sheet metal or trim on YOUR vehicle from the "collision" other than to the bumper cover, the Right Front Wheel Liner, and the Right Kidney Grill, at least as shown by any photos I examined.
5) Your photo #5 attached to Post #65 (the one showing the photographer's tan Right Wingtip ;-) copy of which is attached here, clearly shows a DENT in the OUTBOARD side of the LEFT Front Bumper Mount Tube.
6) In examining your photos provided yesterday, I CANNOT see any "BEND" in that "Bumper Mount Tube" or sheet metal "box frame", but rather it appears to ONLY have a dent in the outboard side which MAY slightly affect the SEAM or perhaps at most, a spot weld, where the two pieces of that "Box" are joined at the top of the "Box".
7) The point of the dent is forward of any front suspension mounting point, with the possible exception of the left sway bar bush, and even IF there is ANY Bend in the INBOARD side of the "tube" which causes misalignment of anything FORWARD of the outboard dent, I do NOT see anything that would be affected by such "misalignment" other than perhaps the bumper beam which is mounted on the forward end of the "tube."
8) The only thing I see that suggests any current or "Pre-Existing" damage sufficient to cause an alignment issue is the fact that the INSIDE edges of both front tires appear worn, RIGHT more than Left. That would be consistent with Excessive Positive Toe or "Toe Out."
9) Certainly that tire wear did NOT happen between the time of this LATEST collision and the time the photos were taken?
10) You indicated in Post #38 that the car was involved in a previous collision (Feb. 2019), prior to your purchase in June 2019.

SUMMARY:

I don't mean to appear insensitive to your situation, but it is my intention to simply analyze the evidence you have provided, and give you MY OPINION.

1) The recent "alley" collision causing damage to the RF of your bumper cover did NOT cause the dent in the "Left Front Bumper Mount Tube." Any damage, regardless of how critical or how trivial, to that "tube" pre-existed the "alley" collision. The "Dent" in the upper-outboard section of the "tube" appears more consistent with application of a PRY tool, rather than "impact" from a collision, OR the surface has been repainted to cover any scuff marks resulting from impact.

2) Your LAST photo in the group of 10 DOES show the top-outboard bolt that fastens the RIGHT bumper tube to the Right Bumper Beam is sheared off (both top bolts on LEFT are intact), and the Inboard top nut washer has left a scuff from lateral movement, perhaps from this "Alley" collision, as the scuffs appear "relatively recent" (NO rust), but how much rust might develop between February & November is anyone's guess.

3) I can't tell from your photos, and I have NOT compared other models for similarity, but it appears that the Right bumper beam mount is at more of an angle than the Left Beam mount, but that may be an illusion from angle of photo, OR the way it was designed.

4) If the "dent" was NOT caused by this collision, then the insurer has NO liability for repair of a "pre-existing" condition or damage. It likewise has NO authority to tell you that your car is unsafe or that you MUST repair that pre-existing damage in any specific manner.

5) I fail to see any reason WHY you should NOT simply repair the bumper cover, kidney grill & RF fender liner damage, get a Front Alignment, replace the sheared bolt, and enjoy the car. You DID say that there was NO change in handling characteristics when you drove it AFTER the Collision, so I see NO indication of anything a routine front alignment would NOT correct (have rear checked at same time).

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17492.00
RNByrd3198.50