View Single Post
      10-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #30
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330e (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
I have a 2006 335i e92 AT with paddle retrofit, oem PDC front and rear but no reverse camera. I've just installed a new android unit so am in the process of installing all the components i.e. reverse camera, dvr etc.

I want to be able to manually select the reverse camera with the PDC button as well as it automatically engaging when in reverse gear like normal.

Use example: if someone was tail gating you, you could turn the reverse camera on whilst moving and be able to get the license plate no. (I no not the best example to use but should give you the idea)
Ok, I understand. Yes, you should be able to do this, depending on the headunit you picked. (Disclaimer: Obviously using the camera while driving forward is potentially dangerous! Do at your own risk and please be careful...) Most aftermarket headunits have two ways to activate the rear camera:

1. Via CANBUS signal - this is how you would normal choose to activate the camera, since your car produces the necessary signal

2. Via the reverse light - this option is for MT cars without PDC since such cars don't have the CANBUS signal. You need to choose this option.

So you bypass your PDC entirely, and put in an automotive relay that is activated by your rear light. You connect the activating wires between the the rear light 12v and ground; the rear light signal can either be tapped at the light itself or at the FRM module. The relay would then connect the 12v going into the headunit with the activating lead in the headunit. (Relay pins: pin 86 - rear light power, pin 85 - ground, pin 30 - headunit 12v+, pin 87 - activating wire)

Next, you would wire a momentary SPST switch (button) in parallel to the headunit 12v+ and the activating wire. You could connect the two sides of the switch at the relay to pin 30 and pin 87, which would be electrically equivalent.

(The camera itself should receive power from the headunit so it's turned on and off by the headunit.)

Make sure to set the headunit to detect the reverse signal from the light instead of from the CANBUS in the settings menu. Now when you're in reverse, the relay activates the camera. If you push down the button you wired in, it will also momentarily activate the camera by fooling the headunit into thinking the reverse light is on.

Last edited by FaxData; 10-26-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0