04-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post

The golfs balls matter. They matter A LOT. With the wrong balls you can really hurt your game. So to start by buying 3 ball sleeves instead of whole boxes. You can then play around and find which ball will suit your all around game and as you progress then you can begin carrying a few different balls for different parts of the game. Like a distance ball for driving, a soft ball for pitching, chipping and putting, etc.

Hope that helps.
This is some great advice, all the balls are NOT created equal. And just because it costs $4 a ball doesn't mean that it's the best/right ball for you to use. If you buy a bunch of Pro V1's. They're all going to end up in the hands of other golfers, who strayed into the woods to piss, smoke, or are looking for thier own ball who will then pick it up, say "sweet, a ProV1" and then use that for the rest of thier round, or at least until thier own flawed swing sends it spinning back into the woods to hopefully be recovered by someone who is actually good at golf.

Just remember to stay away from range pounder practice. I see countless people (myself included many, many times) go out to the range and whack through a large bucket of balls, hitting it as far as possible for each club every time and consider it "practice". Once you get your general swing down (can consitantly hit down on the ball, get a decent flight and it was generally where you were aiming) try to hit shots with less back swing, more speed etc and see what kind of ball flight results you get. The reason most golfers have trouble taking the 75% swing is from over practice of their 100% swing at the range, not because it's mechanically that much different or more difficult.

Try to mix up range and actual golf courses as practicing at both will complement each other. Just remember to pick up your ball if you've gone over 8-9 shots on a public golf course. Etiquette is as much a part of this game as anything else.

Lastly, be very, very patient. This is one of the hardest games around. Remember the old saying that golf can never be won, only played. Be patient with your progress and results, and you will have found a game to play for life. If you are too hard on yourself, compare yourself to others, or think you should be making birdies and shooting scratch too quickly, you will burn yourself out and end up hating the game.

Good luck 8)

(edit: as far as equipment goes, I've always enjoyed Cleveland golf iron sets. I'm not playing them now, but they make some very decent "beginnner" irons than can also be saved for intermediate use. Stay the hell away from any "super game improvement" irons unless you are 90 years old or have some some of medical condition. They will only hide faults in your swing and will not make you a better golfer")

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0