View Single Post
      04-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I have not heard either set but Focal is a much higher quality brand than Rockford, so based on that alone I would go with Focal, especially since they cost less. Regarding the underseat "sub", my experience is that you cannot generate decent bass in the stock enclosures, because they are waaaaaay too small to enable any decent aftermarket driver to perform properly. Therefore, the underseat location is best used for mid-bass, and the bass and sub-bass can beaugmented using a trunk sub. I have read one disappointing review about the Focal 8" driver, and it was not a surprise based on what I just stated. Better to use an 8" driver that is known to produce excellent mid-bass, like the Jehnert. All of this doesn't mean squat however unless you plan to use an aftermarket amp! Also, skip the rear speakers as they will not make a noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91-330i-M-Sport View Post
Hi folks,

I’ve tried searching for comparisons between these speakers but can’t seem to find enough info to help me choose a set. The main reason I’m trying to decide between these sets are that they are the main options available in the UK. I’m leaning toward the Rockford’s as I had a 6.5" set in my old car which I loved and would like to remain loyal/stick to what I know, but the Focals are somewhat cheaper, although have an aluminium tweeter which puts me off as well as their lower power handling.

Which ever I decide, I will be going for the 3-way set which include the underseat ‘subs’. Will also want to eventually fit a matching set in the rear doors for balance, which would be easier with Focal as I could simply get the coaxial whereas the Rockford’s would require some modification to the door card to fit the tweeters.

Anyone have any experience with either of these choices to help me choose?