09-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #59
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Which arm are you replacing, the terms on these get confusing, especially on XI, on the below link, nubmber 8 (TRACTION STRUT WITH RUBBER MOUNTING) or number 15 (wish bone)?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0740

If it is 8 traction strut with rubber mounting, the ball joint is separate part that is bolted on to the spindle. You can pull the arm from that ball joint by placing a pry bar between arm and spindle but not touching the ball joint boot to prevent damaging it, then hitting the arm where the ball joint stud goes through the arm with a heavy hammer, like 48 oz, while applying downward force with the pry bar. Depending on how rusty it is, it will come off after several hammer hits. I had removed mine like that.

A ball joint separator like this one may help with that job:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...iABEgLOw_D_BwE

Harbor Freight or Autozone may have similar.

If you are replacing the wishbone, since the ball joint of the wishbone is deep located in the spindle it may require a ball joint separator, or by just hitting on the arm it may come off. I didn't need to replace the wish bone so don't know really. The separator types I linked above may not fit in the space for the wishbone ball joint. You will need either a not too wide box wrench or a good crescent wrench to undo the nut on that ball joint, because the CV axle boot is right on top of that nut which doesn't leave room to use a socket.

If you are going to replace the ball joint on the traction strut (number 12) also, then you need heat to at least undo the two torx screws holding it down since they are locktited. Then preferably an air hammer, or again BF hammer to hammer it out from top with a socket.
Other or simultaneous effort is to loosen the nut on that ball joint, but don't remove the arm yet from the ball joint. Then you can beat on the arm with hammer to get the ball joint out, as well as hitting from top with a socket.
Haven't had the "pleasure" of dealing with that ball joint on my car yet, and from what others reported I am not looking forward to

What I wrote is all XI (AWD) for anyone else reading.
Thanks for the comments. It's #8 on the real OEM diagram (Traction Strut). I have done the wishbone and it was a breeze.

As shown below, #8 had a ball joint set through it from the top. I've removed the 24MM nut at the bottom, soaked the ball joint and arm with WD40 and Liquid Wrench. I've also tried using a two jaw puller, but it kept twisting and didn't work. I tried the other type of ball joint separator, and it slid off the bolt. And, I have a 4lb BFH which i've "applied" to the situation at least 50 times.

I'm at a loss as to how to separate these damn parts! I'm just about to put it back together, throw parts in the trunk and let an indy deal with it...
Attached Images

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0