Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation Blitzer's & the Autobahn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
What do you mean by A and B roads? I don't think that is terminology we use in North America. Sorry for my ignorance!
^^I think this is a British term. A roads for nice smooth back country roads. And B roads for really poor, neglected paved country roads.

Here in Germany we have:

Autobahn = Autobahn (mostly no speed limit, although a 130 kph is recommended)Road signs are Blue.
Schnellstraße = looks like a Autobahn, but has a speed limit of 120 kph) Road signs are Blue. This road has a car in the sign/icon.

Bundesstraße = country back roads, speed limit is 100 kph. Road signs are in Yellow.

We also have "state roads" which look just like a Bundesstraße and have the same speed limit/100 kph.

Germany...
Name:  57  xxxxx    V-Max Germany ,_StVO_1981_und_1992.svg.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  85.7 KB

other lands...
Name:  Tempolimits+Europ+Titel.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  122.7 KB

Schnellstraße sign... telling you the speed limit is only 120 kph in Germany.
Name:  400_F_38184136_KCmxeENaBjTMHjxJkbg7ghuwFla7ZYsk.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  17.4 KB

Quote:
Wow! Sounds like they really are crazy with speeding over there. I would be scared that I'm speeding without even knowing if I'm not always paying attention to the posted speed limits!!!
The Swiss don't mess around!! Everything is expensive there. It's a nice place to visit... but I always try to stay out of the country - when I have to spend money on gas, food or hotels. But sometimes you can't do that. I'd still encourage you to explore Switzerland.

To give you an example... a 0.5 liter bottle of Coke will cost you around 5 euros in Swiss. A doner kabob in Geneva will set you back 20 euros. In Germany a Coke costs 1.60 euros on the Autobahn or gas station. A Doner kabob costs 4 euros. It's like this for just about everything in Switzerland.

I think Switzerland and the Nordic(Denmark, Sweden) countries are the worst for speeding fines. Germany is quite tolerant of speeding. Normally the German Autobahnpolizei will not bother you unless you are driving more than +30 kph over the posted limit. I try to drive not more than +20 kph - because you will get FLASHED(Blitz'd) by a camera. The fine for driving less than +20 kph over the limit on the Autobahn is in the 10 to 30 euro range. Over 21 kph, and the fines go up to 70 euros.

https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/gesc...berschreitung/

AND everyone should know when you enter a construction zone on an Autobahn or when two Autobahns intersect... there is ALWAYS a reduced speed limit AND ALWAYS cameras there.

When you enter a Germany city of village... that cute yellow sign telling you the name of the city... is ALSO telling you the speed limit of 50 kph now begins. (unless otherwise posted). When you see the red diagonal line telling you you are leaving that city/village... it is also telling you the speed limit is now 100 kph (unless otherwise posted).

See my post #6 here in this thread...

Places to visit near Munich while on ED...
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1170588

Also for more of what the Blitzer's look like in Germany... take a look at this thread. Those Germans are crafty people.

Achtung! Polizei...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7053631

And for your viewing pleasure...

Btw... Italy is very friendly to drive fast in. I've never gotten a ticket there... but they do have up to ONE YEAR to send you your infraction!! I do love Italy. Well... Northern Italy and the Tirol area of Austria/Italy. You just have to watch your speed in the cities... bc they have those orange speed camera boxes and they move them around. It also helps to have a Blitzer app on your handy/cell phone or GPS Navi - even though its not allowed.

Appreciate 1
________4163.50