View Single Post
      04-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #124
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Just wondering here, have you tried to set the DCT into a higher or more bars shifting mode? That could just be your case and that the DCT is in all out comfort mode so it shift much slower, slowing down the clutch engagement of the transmission as well. That could be why you're not moving as fast or you have that lag? Does the 1 series have DCT that can be controlled like the M models? Never been in a 1 series. Does all DCT have that mode no matter what series it goes into?

That could be your simplest solution and you just have to set the mode higher to have your fix. It is because I did not see once that you spoke about changing the modes nor anyone else.

About the ZF-8, my wife has the 435i GC with that transmission. It is smooth and quick so I like that transmission. I think it is just because I know that the DCT is unique to the M or a higher model car, I would love to keep it still. I am 50/50 and if it goes to the ZF-8, I would welcome it. The new M5 is stated to have the ZF-8 in replacement of the DCT, so why not?
There are no fine tune adjustments to the DCT. There are two options (actually three options you can employ) in different combinations. There is the Sport button and the moving the transmission shifter to the left to engage sport shifting. The third option is manual mode. In stop and go traffic, I sometimes activate the sport button and move the shifter to the left to try to minimize the throttle lag. But the engagement is abrupt and it's tiresome to deal with a touching pedal and the car just wanting to fly forward like a scalded cat. My commute in the DC area has me dealing with stop and go traffic for sometime 10 to 20 miles at a time. This gets old real quick when you have to deal with a touchy throttle and having to jam on the brakes because the car got too jump happy.

But with the lurching and jumping of the car, this is different than what I'm describing above. What's happening is when the A/C is engaged, the idle is unstable. Coming to a near stop with my foot on the brake, the idle will fall to 500 RPMs or just below then all of a sudden surge up just above 1k. I've notice this happens when the trans is in 2nd gear. When the computer realizes the idle is too low, the idle surges up but at the same time, the trans shifts to 1st. When this shift happens, you feel a clunk and the car jumps forward with the idle surge. I think when this happens, the computer isn't disengaging the clutch so the car and feels like dumping the clutch. I have to wonder if this repeated behavior is causing extra wear on the clutch packs.

And to add to the excitement of the car jumping forward, you feel less braking power because the system vacuum drops significantly when the RPMs dip to 500 causing a residual affect on the brake booster. Fun times.
Appreciate 0