United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
It's incentive to get a better job. Which I'm hoping most of them eventually do
So they can dress better, maybe? SMH ...

Almost all people with this attitude (and others) have probably never worked in a service industry -- which, I might add, is where many new jobs are coming from in this country. It can be lucrative -- quite lucrative -- and there are plenty of people out there who enjoy the work and don't want to do anything else. I'm not saying that most valet staff fall into that category, but those who I've known do it because it's a good gig to have compared to a lot of others at its level.

The tipping model is flawed, to be sure. But there are those who far prefer that over a set wage in certain types of jobs -- valet being one of them. What it is is incentive to learn how to be of good service to others, which is a valuable skill in pretty much any profession.
On top of what VM said which in my personal experience rings 100% true, you've gotta respect people who hustle. Don't care what the job is, do it well and take pride in it. I know valets, shoe shine guys, doormen, who are older guys who just enjoy having something to do, being around people and talking to their regular customers, and do a really good job.

Spend some time in Asia and your perspective will shift. I met one guy in Shanghai who owns a tiny little shop. Literally all this guy does all day every day for his entire life is make scallion pancakes. That's it. His whole life he's done nothing else. Another guy I saw in Tokyo his spine was permanently fucked up from spending 60 years bouncing on his side on a giant rolling pin to make noodles. That's all he's ever done. They make next to nothing but are literally the best in the world at what they do. I'm not comparing that to parking cars, but at the same time prestige of job does not have to equal merits of respecting the person doing it.

My father's a physician now but he spent summers as a kid working in a tire factory to help put food on the table. I never judge anyone doing any job no matter how bad it seems to me beyond are the working hard and taking some pride in whatever they're doing.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
YWGT3364.00