01-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #76
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
This thread is certainly worth a chuckle....

Everyone stating that would never buy a BMW made in Mexico are being a little silly. I remember back when my wife and I ordered our F30 335i. They were either being produced in Germany or South Africa. There were guys willing to wait months extra on their orders because they wanted a German build slot because their perception was that the cars were better if they came from Germany. The funny thing was that the South African built cars had higher initial build quality and fewer defects.

I work in supply chain for a major OEM that has 3 manufacturing facilities in the US and 2 in Mexico. Both of our Mexico plants have the highest build quality and fewer defects than the US. Most of our Mexican suppliers have fewer quality issues as well.
I agree. For example, Ram trucks are either final assembled within 20 miles of me in Metro Detroit or in Mexico. The trucks are randomly shipped to dealerships. There can be two identical trucks next to each other at a Metro Detroit dealership lot (or any city) but one is made in Metro Detroit and the other is from Mexico. If all references to point of origin were removed, you would not be able to tell which truck came from which country.
Appreciate 0