View Single Post
      12-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #37
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Have test driven a few Macan's and a Cayenne in the past 6 months and agree with most of what you say.

They drive very well, much better than a standard X3 or X5 (without DHP) the electric steering on the Porsche being much nicer than the BMW system. If Porsche can do it, why can't BMW?
Suspension out the box is better in Macan and Cayenne than X3/X5 out the box too.

The awd system in the Cayenne is better than the XDrive in the X5, whereas, the system in the Macan is about on par with the X3 XDrive.
PDK gearbox in Macan is a peach as you say, very impressive. ZF8 in X5 is better than auto in the Cayenne IMHO.

So, was all looking good for the Porsche at this point........however, while the petrol engines are good in the Porsche, the diesel V6's aren't, and here in UK with such high petrol prices, the diesels are the only viable engine options, and the BMW diesels are brilliant, so advantage BMW here.

Interior......well, as you say, its just a mess in both Porsche's, the dash, console everything.......just an ergonomic disaster IMHO. I know the new Panamera is showing that the next gen Macan and Cayenne will have a much cleaner interior, but at the moment, the BMW interior is way, way nicer, and the IDrive is so much better than the touch screen system in the Porsches.
18 way Sports seats in the Porsches are lovely, but I found the high side bolster painful to get over to get in and out, and the comfort seats lack any under thigh support, so comfort wise, again the BMW is better, especially in the X5 with the comfort seat option.
I agree what you said about the rear mirrors, stupidly small and such a silly shape in the Macan and its the same in the Cayenne as well.

So, overall, lots of positive to the Porsche, but, for me - too many negatives, and I've stayed with BMW and ordered a new X5 with the right options, such as DHP and comfort seats etc. The new G-series X5 is still 2 years away, so not a factor in my choice.

And as has been mentioned, ALL Macan are awd, there is no fwd Macan.