View Single Post
      08-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #59
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
911 rival would be great. But lets be real. BMW can have the next Z5 be a 911 rival but the fact is BMW doesn't want to make sportscars. REAL sports cars. They focused on making SUVS and making M versions of trucks and station wagons. With that in mind I won't hold my breath for a BMW 911 rival.
I'm similarly skeptical.

A BMW entry into the 911 space would have made sense in the form of a Z5/Z6 that would be a foil or match for the Mercedes-AMG GT.

With that opportunity lost, it's tough to put much hope behind a four seat sport coupe coming out of a BMW factory that can lay claim to being anything like a sports car. That is to say, when the actual sports car they have on the way is already raising questions with the direction they are taking for the engine lineup and so on, what hope is there for some theoretical quasi sports car to deliver?

Nothing is written in stone yet, but I'm not not getting warm fuzzy feelings.

That all being said, with this product realignment, if we can at least get the whole GC/GT mess cleaned up and pare things down to a single four or five door coupe/hatchback per size class like Audi and Mercedes have accomplished, that's a little progress.
Appreciate 2
jts1981212.50