View Single Post
      02-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #30
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

In this particular situation, I don't particularly agree with the US gov't. But the true test of your convictions on this issue is how you'd feel if your little daughter got kidnapped and one of the kidnappers dropped his phone while kidnapping your daughter. If your daughter's life depended on Apple agreeing to hack the phone, wouldn't you be standing on Tim Cook's chest demanding he do something?

I know, I know, making policy based on the emotional stress of one incident is not wise, but I can envision situations where national security or even "the right thing to do" override concerns of privacy.

What this really comes down to is a (justified) lack of trust in our government. They've simply done the wrong thing too many times.

If you've never read Orwell's 1984, read it now. Or if you have, re-read it now. You'll be stunned at how many of those things we thought impossible 40 or 50 years ago are true today. Flat screen TVs that watch and hear you, double-speak (read: Politically correct language), devaluation of most things we used to cherish, and most importantly, governments run as businesses. Orwell saw it all coming.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0