View Single Post
      01-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you can take it to court, try challenging by asking who reviewed the video - a police officer or a third party contractor. Most municipalities in South Florida removed cameras when judges started ruling the video must be reviewed by a police officer. Of course, results in CA may (and probably will) vary.

When the cameras initially were installed here, there was almost no way to appeal. You had to appeal to the company selling the equipment / issuing the ticket and if you lost the fine increased. I have no issue catching blatant red light runners, but always thought that appeal procedure was bullshit. I got one of those tickets for making a right turn on red (with no traffic) because I didn't see the no turn on red sign. There aren't enough people that blow through red lights to warrant the cost of cameras all over the place and personnel to review each violation so they need to stretch what constitutes a violation that warrants such a big fine. In some instances where a cop may ignore a violation or issue a warning, you got a ticket with no real way to appeal. There was also wide variation by municipality when a ticket was issued. In some towns, they never issued right turn in red tickets and in others they issued them if you did not clearly come to a complete stop before turning on red.