View Single Post
      04-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #96
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

investing in real estate has worked well for me. i'm familiar with my local markets and use several websites to search (redfin, zillow, etc.). i'm getting really good at determining costs (mortgage, taxes, HOA dues, current interest rates, and likely rents). there are tons of websites that allow for specific searches of properties available for rent, and they are a great tool to use to determine prospective rents after estimating total monthly costs.
it costs me nothing but some time on a computer, and i have fun strategizing.
sure there are some risks, but they are calculated risks. both properties rent for more than my total monthly costs. i'm not going to get rich off the monthly profits, but it provides some instant gratification while enjoying long-term appreciation. i manage my property myself and don't mind the occasional text about a broken water heater or whatever. its a minimal effort for a great reward, and i enjoy the responsibility.

i appreciate your input and reference to index funds and companies like vanguard. i have 10% of my income going towards a 457 plan, and i can do a little more, or maybe split 7% towards my 457 and the other 7% towards index funds. i really do have to sit down with someone familiar with such opportunities and pick their brain. seeing money make money and being able to use it without penalty would be very exciting (all my other plans are for retirement age withdraw).