02-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
So I guess if all the other kids jump off a bridge, there should be no hesitation in doing that too? I've been driving for over 50 years now, and have learned my lesson the hard way about ignoring manufacturer's recommendations. There are no significant power gains to be had from adding ethanol to your fuel unless you are raising boost way beyond the safe limit where additional octane is required to lower the intake air temps and keep detonation from occurring. The "N54 boys", of which I was one, also use methanol injection to allow higher boost levels without cratering their pistons, but that has its downside as well, not the least of which is an extreme fire/explosion hazard if the tank or delivery lines sprout a leak in the engine compartment. And then there's NOS, which is fine for big-block crate motors, but probably not recommended for an N55.

Hey, it's your $50K+ car - feel free to do whatever you feel will get you that extra 1/10th of a second at the drag strip.
I've been driving for over 50 years now, and have learned my lesson the hard way about ignoring manufacturer's recommendations.

Same can be said about tuning the car but i am assuming you do that too.
BMW does not recommend adding boost over stock targets

There are no significant power gains to be had from adding ethanol to your fuel unless you are raising boost way beyond the safe limit where additional octane is required to lower the intake air temps and keep detonation from occurring

I wonder how you know what is the safe limitsfor boost ? since datalogs show that the car handles the extra boost with no problem.

Oh and by the way, E85 at least for the N54 adds around 40whp to the car.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0