10-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #35
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
My brother-in-law is a CFA and thats what he recommended for me to do. It is however a risky and excrutiating route to take with no guaranteed outcome. For me, escpecially since I have already started my career and I do have responsibilities, the fact that it will take at least 6 years (1.5-2 years worth of exams plus 4 years experience), it does not seem to be the best option.
Let me ask you a very basic question: how does having an MBA show a company you can make them money?

After all, that's the basic reason why you'll get hired.....you are worth paying.

Why do you think salesmen are generally commission based? If you suck, you're not worth paying. If you are good, the incentive is to bring in more.

That's why managers/directors can make a s*** load of money. The more people you manage, the more money you will make.

That's also why there's a ton of MBA graduates teaching high school right now....their only value is to an entity that sells education.

It's a painful truth, but that's real life. The most desirable skills are the ones that can't be tought from a textbook.

Again, I recognize that an MBA can be desirable, but generally when supplemented with a technical background. It shows that you not only understand the product/service a company provides, but also how to make that product/service profitable.

EDIT- If the words I bolded in your post scare you, IB isn't a business you want to pursue. Stick to EE. EE is a steady and consistent path to spending 20 years with a company and topping out at $200k (if you're lucky). There's also nothing wrong with that, if that's what you strive for.
Appreciate 0