View Single Post
      02-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #85
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
BMW i8 doesnt qualify? maybe you should read some reviews on it before you open mouth....

the last M3 had an M3 GTS.. I guess that doesnt count either.

And just because the models you are asking for (that you likely won't be buying) right now aren't immediately available.. .... doesnt mean that there are not other models coming. What's to say the M division won't play with the i8 and bring out an M version? Keep in mind that the BMW philosophy for M is to improve on an underlying model..

Personally.. I could care less if BMW makes a halo car that I will never be able to afford. I want them to make sport sedans and sports cars that I *can* afford. Like the one I already own....
That I likely won't be buying? Speak for yourself. I'm in the market for a sports car around the i8's price range by the end of the year - when the i8 will be available here in Dubai. Having bought 2 BMW's in the past 2 years (Z4 and 6 series), the next step in the BMW ladder of sports/sporty cars is the i8 or an M6. The problem is I have trouble justifying spending that money on a car with fancy doors and an anaemic 3 cylinder engine or a tarted up 650i. I don't understand what the issue is with some people - they seem to have a problem with the fact that fans of BMW are disappointed with the brand's new direction of flooding the streets with low cost - family friendly models of every shape and size. They've completely forgotten about their history of making great cars like the 850i, Z8, M1, E60/E63 M5/6, etc. I'm willing to accept this dilution of the brand if only they strengthen it from the other end with higher end cars. But hey, I'm just one customer, so who cares right?

I like my 6er, but I wish it was a bit lighter and had the hydraulic steering of the Z4. Regardless I'll keep it for a while as it as a wonderful daily driver but it's also safe to say that it might be my last BMW if the company doesn't get its act together. Thank God for Porsche and Mercedes - they care about their fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Fair opinion. But Mercedes and Audi can only build those because they simply have backing from a parent company. Now maybe I'm thinking about this from an average consumer and because I know I'll never be able to afford cars like a R8 or a SLS and perhaps BMW is thinking the same way. BMW has already stated that they won't make a halo super car because the percentage of people out there that would buy such a car is minuscule.

Now if you're in that tax bracket that could afford the super and hyper cars, I apologize, but I'd rather see BMW invest into things that will eventually fall into cars that the average consumer could afford instead of cars that only one percent can afford. We're already seeing that with CFRP. As for the i sub brand, sure it may only look like a textbook exercise today, but like it or not, this is the future of automobiles and I'm glad that BMW is investing into it now. If you're in the position to be able to get such a car out as a volume seller, why wouldn't you? I'm not against super and hyper cars, but as an average consumer, what's there to gain other than to engage in fanboy wars arguing who has the best super car that most of can't even afford? There are specific marques out there that can satisfy your 800HP+ needs.

Right now, I think BMW is in a type of transition stage. We know CFRP is going to take off and maybe the technology used in the i-brand will too. BMW is in the position to provide those to other companies vs. having to source them from someone or somewhere else. I will take the former. From there, who knows what happens in the future but BMW has set up the groundwork for themselves.
I respect your opinion but all I was trying to convey was that I'm disappointed with the continuous dilution of a brand that once stood for something. It's frustrating as a fan of the brand to know that nobody cares about BMW's as much as they used to because it doesn't respect itself and it's (former) core values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Exactly. Diluting the brand to increase profits is understandable, but it increases the need to reinforce the brand with higher end halo or more hard core products.

Mercedes and Audi are doing a fine job at this. Their halo cars represent the pinnacle of their brands. IMO, AMG = luxury and power, R8 = luxury and design. BMW i8 = technology and driving dynamics? that was confusing. And the M cars continue to evolve into do it all cars, not pure driver cars. Even Porsche is forgivable because it continues to churn out best in class sports cars.

The M235i club car is a step in the right direction, but not a real car for the people. BMW seems more excited about the i3 and enthusiasts seem more excited about the prospect of an M2 (their last hope). Perhaps this indicates where BMW thinks they need to go with their brand...
Thank you. I'm glad someone understands what I'm saying. The M2 is definitely a step in the right direction. Even BMW's entry level models should scream sporty and fast like the M135i, 228i and M235i. Not the new 2 series Craptive Tourer or i8. I personally think the i8 will be the undisputed ugliest car on the road.
Appreciate 1