View Single Post
      02-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220 View Post
Is there really that much additional engineering design cost required to create that combination? They are manufacturing F22s with xDrive. They are manufacturing F22s with manual transmissions. What's the great engineering / cost leap involved in combining a manual and AWD system on the same platform? Particularly where they've already demonstrated an ability and willingness to do the same thing with the F30/F32. I feel like I'm trying to convince the BMW board here to reconsider their decision.
I agree, it should be an option but likely is not because of low demand. However, x-drive is not all it is cracked up to be - it gives u slightly better starting grip in heavy snow and that is about it. Adds sig weight and really does not give u better handling. My father has xdrive and it got stuck in snow in our driveway w all of the wheels spinning! Unlike Subaru, which has a great all-wheel drive system so they say, luxury manufacturers will stick w all-wheel drives that split the power basically 60-40 most of the time (so car drives similar to a rear-wheeler). A Subaru system raises the ride height too much. Moreover, who wants manual anymore, when auto outperforms it. U simply cannot shift as fast and as smoothly (either up or down) in a manual vs. an auto. So solution - M235i without xdrive and without manual. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0