10-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #554
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
And we have had discussions in the past, numerous numerous numerous times, about how we will help each other handle things differently, but when I do try to calm her down from the start, she is clearly still fuming, which allows it to get drawn out. She can not let things go like I can, and when she keeps at it, my attitude will severely alter and I will become nasty in return.

I guess it goes hand in hand with, if you can't respect me enough to talk to me like your SO after a few minutes, why should I try and butter things up to make her feel better? Wouldn't that be lying (in a sense)?
It can't be that one sided forever. Maybe for a while if both of you are trying to make those blow ups be much smaller. But for any extended period of time it becomes unhealthy.

As Biorin said, being completely honest with each other and not taking offense when being honest plays a large role in a successful relationship. It is hard to start an in depth conversation that has the potential to blow up into a fight when you guys are getting along. It's difficult to risk the happy time while you have it. But that won't bring change. Just the same old circle of behavior.